[Dixielandjazz] Donegan

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 12 02:06:28 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I while ago I commented that a Lonnie Donegan Tribute Band  had been booked at my local jazz club and added that I would be giving it a miss. A whole evening of My Old mans a Dustman not being my cup of tea.

I have had to eat humble pie.They were apparently a smash hit. Due to finish at 11.15 they were kept there by the applause until 1145. Hardened Old Timers standing cheering between numbers.

Into the programme they introduced other stuff not strictly Donegan related. Black and White Rag played by a superb pianist went down extremely well.

The organiser was inundated by requests from the members to `book them again`.

A youngish group of brilliant players giving their all at a very high level of musicianship and being what Barbone has been hammering `ENTERTAINING`

The well known Donegan stuff, My Old Man, Does the spearmint, Rock Island line were kept pretty much to their ending set, leaving everyone in a good mood. `Always leave `em laughing`

I think I shall have to attend the next performance.

Cheers

Pat