[Dixielandjazz] How Not to book a Senior Center gig

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Jul 9 10:51:04 PDT 2006

Hey Folks:  Here is an ad for a sax player in one of the wealthiest
communities in N. California, where a bed in a senior center will cost
$3000.00 a month and up.  Now they are booking a five piece band for
$75.00  maybe 100.00 if the leader is ripping off the sidemen for a
leaders fee :))

It is bands that work like this that are killing the live music
business, I have booked solo artists in this same venue for $200.00 for
a one hour performance on many occasions.   I have a friend who sings
Karaoke at these places and makes $30,000 a year doing it so why do
bands keep giving it away.  And yes he sings here once a month for
$300.00 for one hour and they love him and he has been going back there
for five years once a month.

Musicians often kill their own market just by being and thinking like
amateurs their entire careers.  This gig at that price will probably
not even pay for the gas to get the musicians there and back.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Subject: How not to book a Senior Center gig

 Alto or Tenor player needed for 7.21 gig (lafayette / orinda / moraga)

  Date: 2006-07-08, 8:26AM PDT

   Looking for an Alto or Tenor player for a gig on Friday, July 21,
 from 4;00- 5:00 pm in Moraga. We'll be playing for Senior's before
their dinner social. We'll be a five peace group (two horns, guitar,
bass and drums) playing "American Songbook" standards out of the Real
Books. Pay is $15.00 dollars a man. You must be able to read and play
heads with other players and improvise over the changes of the tune