[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong Archives

Rebecca Thompson rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Sun Jul 9 04:37:31 PDT 2006

 My biggest disappointment from the trip to Queens, was that we were not
able to see the items in the archives at Queen's College.  They have Louis'
recordings playing in each room of his house, but I wanted to check out the
tapes he made and see the decorated cases he kept them in.  There was a
group of 5 already there for the week doing research, so there wasn't room
for us.  If you have ever gone through archives doing research, you know you
can request certain items, and they are brought to you..  If it is audio
recordings, you have to wear white gloves.  Lots of stipulations.  It is
different than walking into a museum and viewing the objects.

My impression is that they do not have enough money to man the archives.
There is only ONE person working the archives.  This sounded strange to me,
since this is a college that was given these items.  Perhaps Bob Ringwald
understands the economics better and can explain.

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX