[Dixielandjazz] FW: e-Pops Newsletter

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 4 00:36:47 PDT 2006

Dear friends,
I am a subscriber to the Louis Armstrong House Œe-Pops¹ Newsletter and have
just received the following follow-up notice:

³Don't forget to join us at the Armstrong House this Thursday, July 6 at
6:00 pm for our annual Jazzmobile concert in celebration of Louis
Armstrong's traditional birthday! This year the concert will feature Pucho
and the Latin Soul Brothers. Please visit our website at www.satchmo.net for
more details.  We hope to see you there!²
Who are Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers????

Am I the only one who thinks this is a strange choice to honour the greatest
jazzman ever?
I have been monitoring the Satchmo.net site since it opened, expecting that
lots of goodies would become available including access to previously
unpublished research material, in the way that we DJLMers willingly exchange
jazz information so freely.
So far (as I can find) there has been nothing of any value accessible online
from the Satch site.
Has the whole idea, and the invaluable contents, been highjacked?
Is it just a tourist attraction?
Down here in Oz it seems to be a great waste of a wonderful, long awaited,
resource.
Please, someone, tell me I¹m wrong.
This Queens¹ goldmine should be Œpublic domain¹ property.
Or are the available funds being used simply to employ people, with little
prior knowledge of Louis, as bureaucratic Œmuseum assistants¹?
>From my knowledge of this institution, so far, it seems that if I need to
research their archives, I have to actually go there by appointment.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kind regards,
Bill.