[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

John Petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jul 9 03:43:00 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:

> As an aside, for all the Hot 5, Hot 7 devotees who say they are a must
> listen, I disagree. If you have only one Louis Armstrong record on the List
> my vote goes to Ambassador Satch, done live, about 30 years later in a
> completely different band style.
>
> Funny thing about Pops. He never changed his own style much, but he sure as
> hell changed his band styles. Yessir, HE was smart enough to adapt his band
> styles to changing audience tastes yet still stay true to the genre.
>
> Or, are there those on the list who like one of my musical buddies, ready to
> say that "Louis sold out!!!"

I wonder what you are hearing Steve. Without detracting from the All
Stars and Ambassador Satch, which I have and treasure, I have to say
that to me the Hot Five & Seven period is much more interesting and
represents the classic New Orleans style. The All Stars on the other
hand is really a 'Swing' band. Both Trummy Young and Ed Hall were not
noted for being 'classic' NO players although Hall was from New Orleans.
Trummy came up with Lunceford's big band and Barret Deems was a a swing
era drummer. Billy Kyle came out of the John Kirby Sextet.

Let me nail my colours to the mast, I love all of these players (with
reservations over Deems)but I would not regard them as Dixieland or Trad
players solely. The Hot Fives had to happen for the swing era to
develop. The early manifestation of the All Stars with Louis in effect
fronting Kid Ory's Band in the movie 'New Orleans' is much closer to the
real thing.
Similarly, the Wild Bill Commodores represent a real example of Chicago
style, which itself changed rhythmically over the years. Geo. Wettling's
drumming was much more exciting and varied on these than on the later
Condon sessions in the '50s when the snare drum, rims and blocks had
been almost totally abandoned in favour of the hi hat and ride cymbal.
That did change the sound.

What about Ray Bauduc with the Bob Cats? Bauduc's drumming is the key to
the excitement. Remove that and you have a competant Dixieland band, but
with it you have something else.

So I would maintain that to get a grip of the style loosely known as
Dixieland, which to my ears does not exclude New Orleans, Classic Jazz,
Chicago style etc, you need the early recordings in order to learn about
the rhythms. By all means listen to what is about today (even my CDs!)
but get your inspiration straight from the horses mouth.
As a concluding thought, any newcomer to the music should make it a
point to study the early drummers and understand the beat. This includes
Black Happy Goldston, Zutty Singleton, Baby Dodds and Tony Sbarbaro.
There are in depth articles on the first three on my website with sound
clips to illustrate what I mean.
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/drummers.htm

There is also an article about traditional jazz history at
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/jazzhist1.htm
and on Louis with sounclips of the Hot Fives on
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/louis.htm
Cheers
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com