[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 8 18:32:50 PDT 2006

on 7/8/06 4:46 PM, Dr. luis daniel flores at ldf1950 at arnet.com.ar wrote:

> Is there anyone doing a ranking of the best 10?

Hi Luis:

Good question, but with all our different opinions, it would be very
difficult.

As an aside, for all the Hot 5, Hot 7 devotees who say they are a must
listen, I disagree. If you have only one Louis Armstrong record on the List
my vote goes to Ambassador Satch, done live, about 30 years later in a
completely different band style.

Funny thing about Pops. He never changed his own style much, but he sure as
hell changed his band styles. Yessir, HE was smart enough to adapt his band
styles to changing audience tastes yet still stay true to the genre.

Or, are there those on the list who like one of my musical buddies, ready to
say that "Louis sold out!!!"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone