[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Fri Jul 7 14:52:23 PDT 2006

In the Netherlands the influence of the Dutch Swing College Band was so
prominent
that I thought that was the way trad should be played. I heard the
"originals", but then
thought the were "sloppy". It took me a lot of years to realize that the
Dutch "originals"
were based on the real originals. E.g.: Dick Kaart (trb) was a Teagarden
clone, Dim
Kesber an Omer Simeon clone etc. After that I started exploring the real
originals. After recording
a duet with Wild Bill, I found out what this jazz form was all about.
Conclusion: listnen to the originals and base your own style on them, not on
the watered
down copies. Therefore I don't like British trad: a copy of a copy of a
copy. Ducking......

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl