[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 14:16:12 PDT 2006

Hi,

Reading the various selections from others I feel I am off on some
obscure limb mostly by myself.

I put together a tape of my favourite jazz numbers for Tony Davis to
broadcast on Jazz FM, Manchester, UK some years ago, but I don't
think it ever aired.

I found that my selections were based on recordings that made an
impression on me the first time I heard it rather than taking a
critical view of what was important historically.

The first real jazz I heard was at a friend's house - his uncle had
given him a stack of 78s. I was bowled over by all the music and
especially Closer Walk with Bunk and George Lewis, and Jelly Roll
Blues by Jelly. This led to me buying a horn and starting to learn
how to play.

When I started my first band in the 1950 we used to rehearse most
nights and our trombonist brought an unending supply of boxed sets of
78s. We listened to mostly George Lewis stuff, but loved the Gerry
Mulligan stuff as well. Beats me, but I still like that stuff.

Over the years my major discoveries were -

Kid Shots Madison playing on When You & I Were Young Maggie

Percy Humphrey with George Lewis on At A Georgia Camp Meeting (At
Dobell's Record Store)

Wooden Joe Nicholas on Shake It & Break It (At 4 in the morning in Wigan)

Loius Armstrong - a toss up between Potato Head and Wild Man Blus.
The other year I heard Potato Head on a 78 played on a top line wind
up gramophone - the sound presence was stupendous!

Bechet & Ladnier on Sweetie Dear

Henry "Red" Allen on the Luis Russell sides and his NY band. Pick
almost any track.

I'm not sure about number 10. It used to be Mugsy on Big Butter & Egg
Man, but then I heard Louis' version. It might even be Coeman Hawkins
on Body and soul, but I also like Red Allen's version.

I also love the Kid Ory stuff and a lot of the Wild Bill
combinations, but I still tend to go back to the New Orleans
musicians when I want to revisit the roots.

Cheers,

Tony Pringle

--
Leader, New Black Eagle Jazz Band