[Dixielandjazz] Light weight sound gear!

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jul 6 01:24:35 PDT 2006

Bose makes great sounding equipment but they are expensive.  The improvement
in quality is small and will be lost on a crowded room of people talking
etc.

A few weeks ago I stopped by the Guitar Center here in  St. Louis looking at
sound systems.   I came across one that might fit the bill.  I own a 300
watt powered mixer that is really cool sound wise but it would make a great
boat anchor too.   It's now my computer system amplifier with two other boat
anchors, a pair of peavy columns.  Hell of a computer system but I just
can't lug that mess around anymore.

The system I came across is equal in every way to my powered mixer except it
weighs a fraction and actually has a shoulder strap.  The case is fiberglass
and has a lid to cover all the knobs etc.  It had dual EQ's  one for each
channel and all the other bells and whistles like 8 mike channels..  As I
recall there are three models.  The cheapest does not have the dual EQ's but
almost everything else.

The name of the system is the Gig Rack 300 watt powered mixer with two JBL
JRX115 speakers, 2 mikes, cables and stands are $940.  They have the 600
watt system for $1150 with 4 mikes and all the other stuff.. As I said the
Gig Rack powered mixer comes in other models than this.  I think the dual EQ
unit - (probably two separate amps for mains and monitors ) in the 300 watt
by its self is around $900.  They are more expensive than the same thing in
other brands but they are very light weight.  I liked the idea that the case
protected the front panel.

The Musicians Friend has reviews of the systems on line so you should look
up the user reviews.

They don't list them separately in my catalog but if you went with the Gig
Rack Amp  the I would suggest a pair of 10 or 12" EON speakers which are
fairly light and have a pretty good punch.  As long as you aren't trying to
run a bass through them they should do well.  I'm seriously thinking about
going to something like this.  One problem with the Eon's is they don't
stack very well.  Unless you go to something like the EON speakers they tend
to be very heavy and bulky.  We use a pair of them for monitors.  If you
need to put your speakers on stands the smaller eon's are great.

You didn't tell us about how many people or size of room you were wanting to
cover or whether you wanted some sound reinforcement or to blow the wall
paper off.  There isn't any compact, light system that will do the latter.

Another choice is powered monitors.  I use a pair of 15" JBL Eon's.  They
have quite a few bells and whistles like 4 band EQ's and if you use a mixer
you can use multiple mikes.  They have dual amps inside for woofer and horn.
Great sound but a bit heavy.  They aren't as bad as other cabinets that have
equal capacity and quality of sound.  They don't stack very well on a cart
because of the odd shape.  With these you don't need the powered mixer.  All
together they are lighter than the separate pieces but individually kind of
heavy.  About 45 lbs each.  They can sit on stands but I don't use them.
Schlepping these around is getting tiresome.

You should be able to do better than $2K  there are some other compact
systems that come with speakers/amp all latched together such as the Fender
Passport series.  The amps look nice with lots of bells and whistles but the
speakers ( 4 - 4" speakers in each cabinet ) are only OK for a  singer in  a
small to medium room..  One of the local singers uses one.  I'm not
impressed with them.

You might take a look at Peavey and Yamaha systems.  Both are pretty good
but nothing is as light as the Gig Rack systems.
Larry
St. Louis