[Dixielandjazz] Ten representative dixieland-recordings

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Jul 5 11:36:07 PDT 2006

You didn't list the instrumentation which could make a difference.

Personally I would recommend arrangements that they could actually play that
are fairly representative would be good depending on their playing and
improvisation ability.  This is a little more hands on approach.  I too
don't want to start the read vs. arrangement wars but if they are readers
they might try some good arrangements.

Starting at novice but good readers I would suggest the Hal Leonard Combo
Pak arrangements.  They have tapes that go along with them and are designed
to be practiced with.  Almost everything is written out but still have room
for improv.  They come with fake chart type melody pages for solos for each
horn.  They are scored for all the usual instruments plus Tenor that can be
used or not.  The arrangements are a little hard to read The cost is $40 for
four arrangements with tape.  I think there are 8 or 10 sets available.
Available locally, but if not they can be ordered from St. Ann Music
Publications 1-800-235-9714

Any of the Zep Meisner arrangements.  Very well written but not readily
available.  Not real hard but don't expect to sight read them on a gig.

Also the 50 arrangements available from the Triangle band in Australia are
very nice arrangements but are a bit confusing ( see Note) They can be used
at any level of player.  Very cheap, as I recall less than $10 U.S. paid
with Pay Pal but will take a day to print and tape all parts.  Eric is very
prompt - I got mine within a week from down under.

Note:  available from Eric Holyroyd on this list.  - The layout of the
arrangements DC's & DS's, repeats aren't really uniform throughout parts,
chord symbols are in concert pitch not transposed like in U.S.  Do not sight
read these on a gig.  Play through them at least once for endings, routine,
changes etc. especially the piano/banjo parts.  Eric's scoring - repeats -
rests in the piano parts are a little different than used in the U.S. and
takes a time or two through.  Adding rehearsal marks would help.  I did
Band In The Box files on about half of them which are useful for practice
without a rhythm section. I can e-mail those.  Also one of the Australian
guys has the Clarinet parts written out a little nicer and is available on
CD.   It would be fantastic if this collection were available in Sibelius or
Finale

The Black Swan Band arrangements www.bscjb.com  require a lot of improv to
fill in the parts.  Some CD's are available for their tunes.  These tunes
contain large stretches of chord symbols with written intros, endings and do
not always have melody lines for the novice.  All sound good and while they
aren't hard readers IMHO aren't for novice players unless there is someone
to coach them on improv.  I don't think there are any range problems and the
ranges aren't extreme.  The vocal arrangements are mostly for an Alto female
voice with fair to good range.   I think the cost is about $15 per
arrangement but get cheaper if you buy several.  The parts are very nice to
read and well printed in large enough notes to be seen by us old guys.  The
only criticism is that the tunes get a little long if every ending is taken
with all the solos but that's not always a bad thing.

Your list would certainly give them the flavor of Trad.  I think it's a good
idea to listen to different groups.  There are a lot of good ones out there.

I can get web sites or addresses for these arrangements.
Larry
St. Louis