[Dixielandjazz] Ten representative dixieland-recordings

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 5 09:20:19 PDT 2006

DJML--
     I really hate to do this, as i don't want to start more religious
wars, but c'mon, as reasonable and experienced musicians and
collectors of dixieland, we ought to be able to come up with
something.
     Here's the deal: a friend of mine who plays clarinet in an Austin
community concert-band wants a list of 10 or so good
dixieland-recordings that he and his equally novice dixieland-band
can listen to for pointers on how to play dixieland.  I don't know
the other guys and have never heard them play.
     What this suggests to me is that the recordings ought to be:
         a) readily available on CD;
         b) representative of the history of dixieland, back to the
1920s, but with current bands; and
         c) representative of the main styles of dixleland.
     So what players and what bands, on what CDs, could these
parameters include?
     Well, first off, you have to have Louis Armstrong, probably from
the Hot 5s/Hot 7s recordings (but maybe also some later recordings
like at Symphony Hall, etc.).
     Certainly also you need something by Eddie Condon, preferably
with Wild Bill and the other usual suspects.
     Probably also needed is Turk Murphy (or Lu Watters).
     And since he and his band are in Austin, he needs something by Jim Cullum.
     Who else?  Firehouse Five Plus Two, Dukes of Dixieland, Bob
Crosby, Pete Fountain, Jack Teagarden?
     We need some old New Orleans-style stuff too, but who?  George
Lewis, Kid Ory, maybe Michael White?  Who else, NORK, Jelly Roll's
bands?
     Should the Dirty Dozen or New Orleans street-bands be included?
     How about international bands, like those from England, Australia, etc.?
     This ain't rocket science, so what do you recommend?

     Dan

P. S. I'm going to recommend Dave Robinson's style-guide at
http://www.prjc.org/tjen/styleguide.htm.  Are there any other
websites that have a good overview of all periods and styles,
including the names of bands and recordings?  I should probably also
tell my friend about the Jazzology, Worlds Records, and the Jazz by
Mail websites.
** Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "I often ask myself how Beethoven would have written a
**      particular passage if he had wanted it to sound the way
**      I'm playing it."  --  Robert Shaw when at Cleveland Orchestra