[Dixielandjazz] Joe Avery Blues & Rock Around The Clock

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:05:33 PST 2006

Hi all,

Steve B wrote (Regarding Joe Avery Blues and Rock Around the Clock):

>My two cents is with Sheik's take. The tunes are different . .  that is . .
>as different as blues tunes can be, given the similar chord structures.

I'm attaching a .pdf file of a lead sheet of Joe Avery Blues from the
Firehouse Fake Book. You can look at it and make your own determination if
it is similar (and to what degree) it is to Rock Around the Clock. The song
lis listed also as "The New Second Line."

This excerpt from the Firehouse Fake Book also includes the notation that
"Joseph 'Kid' Avery as a New Orleans trombonist and bandleader born in 1892.
He took the very old "Holler Blues" melody and made it his own."

I guess a lot of blues tunes owe something to the "Holler Blues" -

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Rockin' around the clock" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com