[Dixielandjazz] Soprano (Ukulele) banjo movie star?

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sun Jan 29 18:47:54 PST 2006

Ukelele Ike was the nickname for singer/actor/comedian/voice-over artist
Cliff Edwards.  He introduced the song "Singing in the Rain" in the MGM
musical revue "Hollywood Review of 1929."  His voice was heard as a dying
soldier in "Tone with the Wind."  He was also the voice of Jiminy Cricket in
Disney's "Pinocchio" and in many short subjects and animated Disney TV shows
into the '70s.

He also was the comic-relief sidekick in a number of Charles Starret B
westerns and later had the same role opposite Tim Holt.

In the '20s he made a number of records as "Cliff 'Ukelele Ike' Edwards and
His Hot Combination."  The "Hot Combination" was often a group led by Red
Nichols.

Still I don't think this is the guy.  Edwards only played uke as far as I
know, and he wasn't from Europe.  He was born in Hannibal, MO.

As for Rudy Vallee, I thought he played sax.  My first thought was Roy
Smeck, but I don't think I ever heard him sing.

Hal Vickery