[Dixielandjazz] Tiger Rag was songs we hate

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 29 09:09:39 PST 2006

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote (polite snip) about Tiger Rag

> have several recordings from top
> bands that play it even faster than we do (& that's saying something!), and
> they are all marvelous.
>
> Tiger Rag is a rip roaring, fun way to end a gig.  Always gets applause, and
> a demand for "more", or as they say here "bis, bis".  That means it's a good
> tune, in my opinion.

Amen. Lest we all forget that "Tiger Rag" was the tune that the Gene
Goldkette band played circa 1926 in their famous battle of the bands with
The Fletcher Henderson orchestra at Roseland in NYC.

Goldkette Reed player Don Murray reportedly said: "Lets give it to them with
both barrels." The band went into Tiger Rag and blew the place apart.

Afterwards, Henderson's Rex Stewart said: "Those little tight-ass white boys
creamed us . . . cut us to ribbons . . ."

Many years later, Ben Webster responding to a question as to whether the
Goldkette Band had been as good as some said it was that night said: " Good,
hell! They were frightening."

BTW, before the Goldkette band dissolved they had one more cutting session
with Henderson's band. It was declared a draw.

Tiger Rag, great tune. All those war horse tunes are, Panama, Copenhagen,
Muscrat Ramble, Dixieland One Step, etc., etc. Same goes for the tunes
people recognize like "Indiana", or "Bill Bailey". Play what the audience
likes, with high energy and perhaps we'll find that there are no tunes to
dislike. (Indiana especially beloved by all them redneck race car fans is
played at the Indy 500 just before "Gentlemen Start Your Engines")

All those old time recordings of those tunes are less than 3 minutes. Fine
as a guide perhaps, but if you can believe the anecdotal evidence, not
anything like how these tunes were played live. To rely solely on recordings
as an exact form of any jazz tune is myopic. Too bad that extended Roseland
version of Tiger Rag was not recorded.

Cheers,
Steve