[Dixielandjazz] Gail Kingston: was Last of the Red Hot Mama's? Deborah Voight

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 27 18:23:21 PST 2006

Max Hughes <maxuuu at connexus.net.au> wrote: about Opera/OKOM crossovers.

> G'day Steve,
>
> Here in Oz we already have  a successful "crossover".  Gail Kingston, a
> trained opera singer (I think she may even be lurking on this list)
> joined up with Kanga Bentley and his Hot Foot Seven.  (Kanga was
> trombonist with the famous Graeme Bell Band).
>
> Kanga  unfortunately has not been enjoying good health, but Gail has
> developed a cult following, and plays just about every festival in
> Australia to packed houses.
>
> She has out 3 CDs that I have; there may be another. She really belts
> out a tune, and her interaction with the audience is awesome.
>
> I know she has a new website, where there may be some sound clips, but I
> can't locate it.
>
> Try Google, and you'll see just how busy she is!

G'Day Max:

Met Gail in cyberspace a couple of years ago. Looking right now at a Kanga
Bentley's Hot Foot Seven CD w/ Gail Kingston, that she kindly sent me in
exchange for one of mine.  CD name, "Wimmin" - Aah! (The Charleston Era),
circa 2003. Lovely charcoal like drawing of a Picasso like torso, zoftig
nude lady, on the cover. Great album, great songs

We corresponded for a while which I enjoyed very much and hope she did too.
She is definitely my kind of singer and my kind of woman. We are kindred
spirits hoping to meet face to face someday.

Sorry to hear about Kanga, hope his health improves.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone