[Dixielandjazz] Last of the Red Hot Mama's . . . Nah!

Max Hughes maxuuu at connexus.net.au
Fri Jan 27 14:39:07 PST 2006

Steve barbone wrote:

>Remember Deborah Voight? She was the Opera star who was deemed to heavy to
>sing an operatic role last year in the UK. Solution? OK, let's give the
>American Songbook a try, it seems to be gaining popularity. Now that is
>truly crossover.
>
>Perhaps she will try OKOM next as the last of the Red Hot Mama's with Debbie
>Does, Dallas Blues? :-) VBG

G'day Steve,

Here in Oz we already have  a successful "crossover".  Gail Kingston, a
trained opera singer (I think she may even be lurking on this list)
joined up with Kanga Bentley and his Hot Foot Seven.  (Kanga was
trombonist with the famous Graeme Bell Band).

Kanga  unfortunately has not been enjoying good health, but Gail has
developed a cult following, and plays just about every festival in
Australia to packed houses.

She has out 3 CDs that I have; there may be another. She really belts
out a tune, and her interaction with the audience is awesome.

I know she has a new website, where there may be some sound clips, but I
can't locate it.

Try Google, and you'll see just how busy she is!

Max Hughes,
Melbourne.