[Dixielandjazz] musicals

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 24 05:26:11 PST 2006

 a week long special of musicals on tv this week.  (I know they're corny,
but I still enjoy them!) .

Me too Jim,

Like you I have not heard of the Bobby Darin one. I must look out for it.

I was weaned onto musicals when Paint Your Wagon, Annie get your Gun, etc.
hit London. I saw Pyjama Game on stage there. Loved the films of Seven
Brides and Kiss me Kate.

The new  version of Mel Brooks The Producers is the latest. I saw the
original film with Zero Mostel and loved it and when Brooks put the show on
stage in London a short while ago I went up to Town specially to see it
(London is not my favourite place these days).

The film which has been made of the stage version is self indulgent to a
degree and would benefit from some severe editing. But if you like big
production numbers,  you will enjoy this.
The `Springtime for Hitler` sequence has got better and bigger from the
original film to the stage and now to film again.

I think one of the funniest  exchanges is when the producers go looking for
the author of the play `Springtime for Hitler`which they want to put on
Broadway. They meet him on the tenement roof where he is looking after his
pigeons. He is dressed in the renmnants of a uniform and a German tin
helmet. When the vistors call his name he springs back in terror and says
(roughly)
It wasn`t me, I was only carrying out orders, I wasn`t in the war. What war?
I was out the back. Across the road from Switzerland`

Go see.

Pat