[Dixielandjazz] A plethora of 10 year old jazz musicians?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 20:03:50 PST 2006

Here is a clip of the 10 year old jazz trumpet player, Tyler Lindsay, who
appeared at IAJE. They waxed eloquently about him Listen to him first.

http://www.hamptonroads.tv/index.cfm?locvid=98320&tid=r700&fv=1

Tyler got a lot of publicity and IAJE attendees thought he was astounding as
a jazz musician. And he is. Here's a link to the story:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=98353&ran=146550

NOW:

For comparison, here are a few videos of Jonathan Russell the young jazz
violinist you've read about in the American Rag.

http://www.geocities.com/jonathanjazz/video.htm

Click on "China Boy" first, with Ed Polcer at Arthur's in NYC.
Give it time to load the videos.

As I hear it, nah, you already know my opinion,  you can draw your own
conclusions. Especially if you also hear "J" with Bob Draga, or that blues
with High Sierra, (From Suncoast last November), also on his site. The sound
is not great because it is a camcorder mic, but you get the idea.

Now you know why little "J" won the award from the American Association of
String Teachers for best improvisation of any violinist in the USA under 13
years old . . . WHEN HE WAS 9.

CONCLUSION:

If any of you present Jonathan in 2006, YOU WILL KNOCK THE SOCKS OFF YOUR
AUDIENCE..  Having played with him more than 10 times, I can sure as hell
vouch for that. You should hear us trade 8's, 4's and 2's. Be sure to see
him in Sacramento. Let's all get behind this kid and make sure he gets the
publicity he so richly deserves. He may well be the finest 10 year old jazz
musician in the world.

And if he gets to sing "I Want A Little Girl" to Bria, there's no telling
what will happen. ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone