[Dixielandjazz] Fw: An exciting lead! Heavy food for thought, and then some!

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 00:56:12 PST 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes!!!

  Bria: you are absolutely correct and very astute in your observations
of the IAJE,

  They had an opportunity to Have Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
Play for them at the Convention this year for FREE and they Passed. Now
keep in mind that they have two of our players already doing the Big
Dance Band Gig for them, two of our Trumpet players Professor David
Hardiman Sr. ( just retired) and his son David Hardiman Jr. who
replaced him as Professor of Jazz studies at City College in San
Francisco. They have toured all over the world with St. Gabriel's yet
think the most important thing in their lives and careers are playing
in a Big Band that gets maybe two paid gigs a year at about 25% of What
St. Gabriel's pays them. The IAJE is run by a group of academic minded
folks that use the organization to get themselves trips and gigs and
jam sessions all around the world with the Legends of Jazz that would
almost never hire any of them for sidemen much less hire their bands
mostly made up of their students who don't play any better than they
do. The apples don't fall too far from the tree.

  P.S. It would not surprise me to learn that the guy who said he was
going to play a really old number from 1950 was indeed Prof. Hardiman.
:)) He is a fine trumpet player but a product of his own environment,
with his only claim to fame being his degree and his membership in IAJE
which won't buy him a paid gig outside the academic world.

  The IAJE is run by the gurus of the If you can't Do it go back and
teach other how to do what you never did and get paid for it.

  THOSE GUYS NEVER LEARNED HOW TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, AND PROBABLY
NEVER WILL, NOT UNLIKE THE AMERICAN FEDERATION OF MUSICIANS.  THEY LOST
TOUCH WITH THE Reality that they never really touched anyway, the real
day to day life of a working musician from the street level. They all
took the easy route to getting paid, form the Classical unionized world
and Broadway legitimate theater industry where they had strength in the
support of all the other trade unions for a while, then they lost the
respect of those other unions and started just getting by on the money
they generated from the steady contracts in place with institutions
that they could threaten to shut down with their alleged support form
the other trade unions which they lost long ago anyway.

  Those folks don't even know that Traditional Jazz and it's so called
society's even exist, and if they did they would only be interested in
fining the musicians for working for them under union scale.   No doubt
another reason the Trad societies don't want to get involved with IAJE
and become more visible either.  They all are getting by on the status
Quo and don't want to ROCK the BOAT.   Some of them don't even care if
the Damned Boat sinks so they don't even invest in the insurance to
maintain it and keep it a viable business for the younger players to be
able to pursue a career that would pay them a liveable wage.

No doubt his post will upset a lot of my listmates, and will certainly
not move my band up the ladder of invitees to play Trad Jazz Festivals,
but ask me if I care,  I got along with out them for 40 years before
and I get along without em now.   There is life for  Good professional
Traditional Jazz bands beyond these organizations, so don't be
discouraged, just go take the music to the people outside this little
box.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

Who didn't go to IAJE BUT STAYED HOME AND MADE MORE MONEY PLAYING REAL
GIGS WITH ONLY HALF THE BAND, WHILE MY PROFESSORS WENT TO NY AND PAID
THEIR OWN EXPENSES TO BOOST THEIR EGOS TO A BUNCH OF PEERS WHO NEVER
HIRE THEM FOR ONE GIG.   And no doubt told everyone that they Play for
the International touring band St. Gabriel's.