[Dixielandjazz] The first broadcast - Peg Meyer

Audrey Van Dyke audrey at callitmusic.com
Tue Jan 17 19:52:57 PST 2006

Hope you will enjoy this paragraph from a book by Peg Myers (classmate
and early bandmate of Jess Stacy) who wrote a book called Backwoods Jazz
in the Twenties.

"When I was growing up our home was a favorite gathering place for
musical groups....Several of the groups became pretty good, and on those
occasions when some of the better performers were coming in , the news
would be passed during the day along the party line telephone.  Friends
were told to listen for a certain series of jingles or rings which
signaled that the group was going to perform a couple of numbers for the
party liners to hear.  As this was before radio, it must have been one
of the first examples of broadcasting, or sending of music into
musicless homes.  It was a splendid idea especially in wintertime for
the scattered and generally rural population."

Isn't that a great image?
Audrey