[Dixielandjazz] Re: More on -- Indian Sagua (Sau Wau)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 16 20:07:42 PST 2006

Dear Craig (and friends),
I have spoken to Adrian Ford, who has promised to look out the sheet music
of "Indian Sagua" that has all the parts and which, I think he said, came
from the Tulane University in the 60s.
Adrian used the sheet music for the April 1982 Nick Boston Jazz Band version
mentioned in my earlier email.
Adrian had already recorded it with his Unity Jazz Band in March 1973 based,
I believe, on the George Lewis recording.
The first issued recording of the tune (which reminds me of "King of the
Zulus" in parts) was made by George Lewis for Atlantic on 7 July 1962. This
is the one I have had for yonks.
Charlie Love did an earlier version on 15 Aug 1960 as "Indian Sau Wau", but
it remained unissued until the 504 Records CD 21. I do not have this.
I don't have the Kid Howard La Vida Band AMCD-54 mentioned by Brian Harvey
but assume that this is the Icon version made on 13 Aug 1961 (on a GHB LP),
which I do not have either.
More, as it comes to hand.
Kind regards,
Bill.