[Dixielandjazz] Re: This, from www.jazzbymail.com....

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jan 15 13:13:49 PST 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>>........ Wouldn't you know it, my name is misspelled in the credits.<
>>

>Dear Ron,
>I know the feeling well!
>Kind regards,
>Bill (Haesler).

You'd think with a simple, two syllable, five letter name like INGLE,
there would be  no spelling problem. Ha!
First thing that happens is that someone takes the I  off and adds an E,
changing it from a Scots name meaning fire to a German name meaning angel.
Or someone will spell it with an added S as the end. Or maybe both the E
at the start and an S at the end -- then changing their mind to make it
INGEL, and then put and place the other things possible.
It's is bad enough that the Scots themselves started with a perfectly
good Gaelic word, Aingael which sound more like Ingle, and changed it to
that.
Even in Scotland there are variations.
The thing is to shrug and  correct as needed and forget the rest. I will
now return to being an Ingle sitting by the ingle and  enjoying a dram
of usque baugh while the world goes about its business of  name game.
Don  Ingle -- with an I of course.