[Dixielandjazz] An apology...

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 07:41:53 PST 2006

To all my friends on the list...

The following is both a public apology and a word of caution/advice for our
younger musicians on the list...

I just saw on CBS's Good Morning Show, a biography of one fine entertainer,
and one heck of a vocalist.

The story for me, began over 20 years ago on board the Robt. E. Lee
floating restaurant in St. Louis.  I was working with the Tin Rainbow
Ragtimers (Doug Mattocks on banjo, Dick Hardwick on drums, and myself doing
vocals and piano.)  At the end of the night, a perky little red head
approached me and told me how she loved the way we played the blues and
wondered if she could "sit in" with us.  I told her the night was basically
over and Doug and Dick were already packing up as she could see.  Also,
that the bartenders would be put out if we started playing later than
normal, etc. etc.  (You know, the old bob and weave tactic...)
She told me how happy she was that she had just signed a record contract
and was in St. Louis to visit her father, John.  Well, I told her perhaps
some other night we could accompany her and also asked her what her name
was for future reference.

There are some nights in this business when you wish you could take back a
decision you've made - this was certainly one of these.

SO, if any of our high powered people on this list knows Bonnie Raitt,
please tell her I apologize and she can come and sing with me anytime :-)
I'll be GLAD to play late!
You never know...

All the Best,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!