[Dixielandjazz] 6 7/8 string band

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed Jan 11 18:27:09 PST 2006

Dear Ken,
(This is part of an unpublished essay I wrote for my own amusement)

According to guitarist "Doc" Souchon, one of its founders, the Six and
Seven-Eighths String Band of New Orleans started out as a trio at the
"Reynolds home on Brytania and General Taylor. 1911-1912." Bob Reynolds
played guitar and his brother, Harry, mandolin. The youthful group soon
forsook the sterile diet of waltzes, schottisches, and quadrilles approved
by polite New Orleans society and embraced the rudely exciting music of the
saloons and brothels of Storyville. By the time "Doc" Souchon enrolled in
Tulane University, the band had expanded to a seven piece group with the
addition of a violin, ukulele, another guitar doubling on mandolin, and a
drummer who could play banjo when required. As with any pick up band, the
number of available musicians eventually varied with a maximum muster of
nine members.The band played for college dances, concerts, and private
parties aboard the Aunt Dinah, a houseboat owned by Admiral Ernest Lee
Jancke, Assistant Secretary of the Navy.

After World War I, the members of the Six and Seven-Eighths String Band
scattered to follow their careers, but in 1949 Folkways Records waxed four
of the original members who had stayed close to home--William Kleppinger
(mandolin), Bernie Shields (steel guitar), "Red" Mackie (string bass), and
Edmond "Doc" Souchon (guitar).The result was a delightful, and by no means
amateur return to the music of an era that spawned jazz. Seventeen tunes
were recorded, ranging from the traditional Original Dixieland Jazz Band
One-Step, When The Saints Go Marching In, High Society, Clarinet Marmalade,
and Tiger Rag to the popular Old Green River, Tico-Tico, Who's Sorry Now,
Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen, and Lazy River. High Society is especially notable
as Kleppinger's mandolin soars above the trio's backing in Alphonse Picou's
classical solo.

The Folkways 33 rpm recording of the Six and Seven-Eighths String Band of
New Orleans (FP 671) has a 12-page, illustrated , 81/2"x11"booklet of liner
notes. Cheers. Fred