[Dixielandjazz] 6 7/8 string band

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 11 03:27:07 PST 2006

Ken & Phil,
I have a two disc 78 'album', CD-301, on the Circle Documentary label,
D5001 - Tiger Rag & Clarinet Marmalade and D5002 - Tico Tico/That Old Gang of
Mine & High Society. The line up is the same as given by Phil but with a New
Orleans recording date of 20th May, 1949 for all titles.

According to Rudi Blesh's album notes this line up consists of the four
surviving (at the time) members of the original septet. The "7/8" refers to
the "half-pint" violinist, Hilton 'Midger' Harrison, of the original band
which started to play circa 1909. At that time, Bill Kleppinger ran a rival
septet called The Invincibles which included 'Red' Mackie, then a pianist.
~
John D