[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Old Fashioned Love"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 11 13:28:18 PST 2006

Dear Graham, Richard and Craig,
The subject of the verse to "Old Fashioned Love" was discussed on the list
at the beginning of May 2004 and is probably still in the DJML Archive.
Access it via
David Littlefield provided one set (he has the music part too, I think) and
Dick Sleeman came up with two sets of lyrics.
Both Alberta Hunter and Eva Taylor recorded the verse to "Old Fashioned
Love" in 1923. No others that I could find, when I searched my collection.

When needing correct versions of old tunes I always go back to the original
20s-30s recorded sources (because I have most of them) and rarely rely on
the new-fangled midi renditions.
Even sheet music can be suspect, as it was often produced with the parlour
pianist in mind.
I also tend to ignore recently recorded efforts, as mistakes creep in over
the years as the tune is 'handed down'. (I have even heard a few 'All Star'
groups wreck a good song.)
A bit like chords. Someone in the band always wants to 'improve' on them.
Kind regards,
Bill.