[Dixielandjazz] "Old Fashioned Love" - Lead Sheet required.

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 10 17:36:56 PST 2006

Okay, I give up! I have six recordings of this tune:

Vick Dickenson Septet

Dan Barrett Octet

The Vache-Allred-Metz Family Jazz Band

Swedish Jazz Kings

Steve Waddell's Creole Bells (Superb vocal from Sandra Talty)

The Original Superior Jazz Band (with my old UK mate Derek Winters playing trumpet)

Benny Carter

I even have a MIDI transcription of the James P Johnson's ragtime piano version of the tune, from which surprisingly it is almost impossible to extract a melody line. And I heard it played and touchingly sung by John McCarthy at the recent Australian Jazz Convention in Lismore. It does seem to be a very popular OKOM tune, particularly among we trombone players!

I have been transcribing the various melody lines and they are all really different - I guess as you might expect. But I really would like to know the original written melody line. So if anyone could email me a PDF lead sheet with the verse, chorus and words, it would satisfy my curiosity about the way Jimmy Johnson wrote it for the show "Runnin' Wild".

I don't know how it could be useful but I would be happy to send my transcribed version to anyone who is interested.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com