[Dixielandjazz] Contemporary Music

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:19:09 PST 2006

Hi Kash (and all),

And you said:

>I must agree that things like that "long" concert are stupid.  However, we
>shouldn't blow off all of contemporary music along with it.

I didn't say anything general about contemporary music although I did
mention two items from the University of Califolrnia at Davis Music
Department that were distinctly non-music.  By the way, Cage was a driving
force at UC Davis for a period and, as Steve Barbone pointed out, he got
lots of attention, press coverage and grants.  What a world!

His composition "organ/ASLSP" is only designed to last 639 years. I hope
they allow the audience an opportunity to go to the bathroom now and then.

For a peek into the mind of John Cage, here is an exerpt from an interview
he did on Pacifica Radio back in (I think) 1969.

----start snip

CAGE: I have, as far as, oh, a loftier notion of what to do in the future, I
have the idea to make another large work that might be considered in the
series of Atlas Eclipticalis. This would be called Atlas Burialis, with the
ten thunderclaps, and the ten thunderclaps are from James Joyce's Finnegan's
Wake. And they are, as you probably know from MacLuhan a capsule history of
technology, so that the last thunderclap refers to the time in which we're
living and electronics, uh, specifically. And I want the work to be
performed by a conventional orchestra and chorus, but the instruments and
the singers provided with contact or throat microphones, so that the tones
that are produced, and the sounds that are produced, go through these
microphones and are transformed to fill the envelope of an actual
thunderstorm. So that, though it would begin as Finnegan's Wake in terms of
the text and notes taken from a book of maps called Atlas Borealis, that the
voices would produce the thunderclaps and fill those envelopes of actual
thunderclaps and the orchestra probably -- and most of it is string
orchestra -- would, um, fill the envelopes of rain dropping on materials
suitable to that history of technology. In a sense, it's a project like that
that Jasper Johns completed when he made those Cans of Ale. In other words,
he saw something in his environment and then made it. Also, I remember a
girl in Cincinnati who, um, emptied -- took out the yolk and the white from
an egg, very carefully. and then inserted wax and then took the shell off
and she had a waxed egg. (laughter) And this would be, so to speak, you'd
take a real thunderstorm, with the rain and everything, and you'd take it
all out to find out what the shell of it was, you see, and, then, fill it up
with people.

----->end snip

Isn't that just precious!

Now, friends - I'm here to state that Cage was limited in his thinking.

I'm creating a work that will last for a REALLY long time.

Since time can be measured as a line with a specific dimension (one of the
four demensions in our space-time continuum), we must understand that any
line contains an INFINITE number of points.

My composition calls for a single discrete note to be sounded at each and
every point in the specific time line. That means an infinite number of
notes and you'll just have to guess at how long that will take.

There are a few details to work out yet (from a musical point of view) --
since a point has no dimension of it own the note must have no dimension.
I'm working on how to produce a dimensionless note. And you thought music
was easy . . . hah!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Cage was a piker" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com