[Dixielandjazz] James Morrison Sucks?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 10 10:18:50 PST 2006

"Richard Stevens" <richard at thejazzfactory.net> quoted Adrian Jackson

> Hi All,
> I quote.........................
>
> Critic and Jazz Festival Organiser Adrian Jackson on James Morrison at the
> Umbria Festival Melbourne 2005.
>
> " Emma Pask, with James Morrison's band.
>
> I've always found her apparent popularity puzzling, but this was a
> particularly tedious performance.
> This set from Morrison's band was the low point of the concerts I heard. We
> have often heard how Morrison plays 'differently' at international jazz
> festivals, but unfortunately, this was business as usual. Along with the
> usual jocular patter between songs, Morrison played a bunch of standards
> with some spectacular acrobatics on trumpet and trombone, without trying to
> surprise himself, his colleagues or the audience at any stage. There was
> some tidy but restrained work from sidemen like Carl Dewhurst and David Rex,
> before Pask took over for the second half of the set, with the leader mostly
> playing piano behind her. Given the occasion, it's a shame Morrison missed
> the opportunity to play something a little more original and stimulating".

Now let's keep Adrian Jackson out of the USA. Perhaps under the "Patriot
Act"? Surely this review would apply to 99 and 44/100% of all the music
played by bands at OKOM festivals? Perhaps even to worldwide OKOM?

Especially the "missed an opportunity to play something a little more
original and stimulating."

De debbil made me do it.

Cheers,
Steve