[Dixielandjazz] John Cage

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 10 09:24:48 PST 2006

Hi gang...
John Cage always wanted to expand on the idea - "Why not?"  and judging by
the variety of responses here, he has accomplished just that.
His goal was to make people THINK about their preconceived ideas of music.
and on that note (sorry for the pun), it brings to mind some VERY
interesting questions...

1. Is anybody listening???  and, if so, will the piece be interrupted for
the funerals of the audience members or will they just be hauled out?
2. If they applaud at the end - will there be an encore?
3. Are they RECORDING it??? (talk about some storage problems :-)
4. and, if they ARE recording it, what happens if 100 or so years from now,
someone hits a bad note - do they go for a SECOND take???

Just curious... :-) and some things to think about...
All the Best,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!