[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lead Sheet for Big Time Woman?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 9 01:06:22 PST 2006

> In any case, I'm glad to have Bill's info on the great line up on the
Crawley record, and will definitely check it out.<

Dear Sheik,
Not so fast!!
Listmate Adrian Ford (we formed our first band together in 1970) with a smug
smile on his face produced, at our regular musician's meeting this
afternoon, the sheet music (with lyrics) of "Big Time Woman".
Composed by - da da - Roosevelt Sykes!
The Wilton Crawley version, made in New York on 3 June 1930 for Victor
(23292) gives credit to Crawley.
Sykes recorded it for Victor (23270) in Memphis on 17 Nov 1930 as Willie
Kelly.
Note the dates and catalogue numbers.
Mmmmmmmmm.
The lyrics are (essentially) the same.
I don't have the Willie Kelly (Sykes) version (what?) but smell a rat.
Kind regards,
Bill.