[Dixielandjazz] Re: Gaspipe clarinet (was TED Lewis, not George, right? Right?)

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Jan 8 13:10:33 PST 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Fred,
>So far as I can find, the term 'gaspipe clarinet' has been attributed to an
>early Ted Lewis (1892-1971) quote regarding his pre-WW1 tent-show and
>vaudeville days playing 'novelty' clarinet, where he referred to his
>'gashouse style' and his clarinet as a 'gaspipe'.
>Unfortunately, I have yet to establish the original source for these quotes.
>Probably a long-forgotten interview in a music trade magazine.
>However, it was the emergence of the ODJB in New York in 1917 which pointed
>Ted in the direction of jazz.
>Lewis was much loved by his audiences and the musicians he employed over the
>years.
>The style, always popular on the vaudeville stage, is exemplified by shrill,
>and complicated humorous noises and effects, but is certainly not without a
>high degree of technical ability, including acrobatics!.
>Clarinetists, who used the style to great effect on stage and record,
>included:
>Wilton Crawley
>Vance Dixon
>Bob Fuller
>George McClennon
>Larry Shields
>Wilber Sweatman
>Fess Williams
>and even (sparingly)
>Johnny Dodds
>and
>Jimmy O'Bryant.
>As a 12-year old Benny Goodman won a competition with a Ted Lewis imitation,
>backed by Benny Meroff's Orch. BG eventually recorded about 20 titles with
>the Ted Lewis band in the early 30s.
>He also recorded and played in the style several times, including at the
>famous Jan 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert.
>'Gaspipe clarinet' belongs to the period and I quite like it.
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

While he was not a gaspipe player, Red Ingle used to do a hilarious put
on of  Ted Lewis both with Spike Jones and his own Natural Seven.
He would wear this beat up stove pipe opera hat and wave his clarinet
about as he did a parady vocal of Lewis singing When My Baby Smiles at
Me,  At times within the vocal he would blow a honky squeek on the
clarinet, and go on , eventually with the while thing sort of blowing up
at the end.
In truth, Red was a good clarinetist - more known for hie Tenor and
baritone - and sometimes alto - sax work, and  played bass clairinet
(heard on the Spike Jones Nutcraker Suite recording). Even more  so, he
was a classically  trained violinist - but couldn't  help but hoke it up
with hillbilly fiddling, though he could play some very Venuti-like jazz
on the violin (two is his which I still have and will eventually find a
worthy student for).
I  make note that this will be the centennial of his birth this year. I
am hoping to have an article prepared for some outlet by this summer in
time  for his November
7 birthdate remembrance. He made a lot of people laugh and be happy,
even in times of turmoil, wars, and other of life's down moments.
He was a great dad, a good fishing and hunting partner, an inspiration
to a son, and a friend to so many of his contemporaries in music.
I miss him all the time but I do not grieve him for he  lived life - as
short as it was at 58 when he passed - as full as anyone could.
I seem to have rambled, but  this thread just kicked loose some flashback.
Don Ingle