[Dixielandjazz] Re: Gaspipe clarinet (was TED Lewis, not George, right? Right?)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 7 14:04:21 PST 2006

Dear Fred,
So far as I can find, the term 'gaspipe clarinet' has been attributed to an
early Ted Lewis (1892-1971) quote regarding his pre-WW1 tent-show and
vaudeville days playing 'novelty' clarinet, where he referred to his
'gashouse style' and his clarinet as a 'gaspipe'.
Unfortunately, I have yet to establish the original source for these quotes.
Probably a long-forgotten interview in a music trade magazine.
However, it was the emergence of the ODJB in New York in 1917 which pointed
Ted in the direction of jazz.
Lewis was much loved by his audiences and the musicians he employed over the
years.
The style, always popular on the vaudeville stage, is exemplified by shrill,
and complicated humorous noises and effects, but is certainly not without a
high degree of technical ability, including acrobatics!.
Clarinetists, who used the style to great effect on stage and record,
included:
Wilton Crawley
Vance Dixon
Bob Fuller
George McClennon
Larry Shields
Wilber Sweatman
Fess Williams
and even (sparingly)
Johnny Dodds
and
Jimmy O'Bryant.
As a 12-year old Benny Goodman won a competition with a Ted Lewis imitation,
backed by Benny Meroff's Orch. BG eventually recorded about 20 titles with
the Ted Lewis band in the early 30s.
He also recorded and played in the style several times, including at the
famous Jan 1938 Carnegie Hall Concert.
'Gaspipe clarinet' belongs to the period and I quite like it.
Kind regards,
Bill.