[Dixielandjazz] The music/jazz business - one person's thoughts......

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 11:34:08 PST 2006

Folks it is not ONLY JAZZ  here that is at stake, but ALL Live music .

There is a current Revolution going on in the Live music CLub industry
and this battle is even worse with the ROCK BANDS HAVING TO STACK UP
FOUR OR FIVE DEEP JUST TO PLAY A BAR GIG,  they all brag about being
able to draw at least 30 people to hear them.   Unfortunateley many of
them who think they are professionals are not even close, and many only
have a half a dozen awful songs that they can even play, but they are
CONVINCED THAT THEY ARE THE NEXT group of Rock Stars to cash in and
become RICH and Famous.    Better odds on winning the Lottery even if
you don't even buy a ticket.

The only people really making any money in music these days is the
Equipment manufacturing and retailers selling all those thousands of
mediocre and terrible wannabe musos thousands of dollars worth of gear.

There are so many of them that the clubs are simply not paying them,
and just allowing them to show up and bring their friends to buy
alcohol and let them play their brains out for thirty minutes of fame
for free or in many cases even pay to play.

Where we in Jazz face a problem is that the Jazz Club owners are
watching this and trying to do the same thing or simply switching to
the ROCK FORMAT which causes the further shrinkage of the paying
marketplace.   Jazz is still alive but is hurting badly in many places
while others are enjoying a bit of a resurgence since The Ken Burns
special gave it a kick in the butt.   However if we do not work hard it
can very easily slip right back to where it was before that and even
lower.

We need to constantly convert that 25-50 age group to Jazz if we are to
sustain what we have now and get to the youngsters now if they are to
support the ones who come after us.   It really is as simple as that.
Music just like History does repeat itself but it needs to be
continually TAUGHT.

WE NEED TO BE MUCH MORE EVANGELISTIC ABOUT IT,  Complacency got it to
where it is now, we all need to get back on the front lines and fight
this war before we become white Bass Clefs in the cemeteries of music.

Cheers,

Rev. Tom Bob

Fourth Church of Jazz  :))