[Dixielandjazz] The music/jazz business - one person's thoughts......

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 10:51:08 PST 2006

In a message dated 1/8/2006 10:29:48 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

Point  being that when bands and/or promoters give the music away . . . for
no  good reason, they damn well do need to be told, by whomever has the  balls
to do so, that they are DESTROYING the market for the music as well  as THE
MUSIC ITSELF.

Here - Here Steve!!!!!!!!
I have been saying the same thing for years.  Also, people who will  play for
practically no money just to "have a gig" are hurting all of us as  well.
With the festival circuit, bands whose members all have day jobs,  who will play
for very low set pay and a hotel room, have made it almost  impossible for
those of us who actually (try to) make a living, to  perform very often at these
festivals.
Years ago, when I was president of the old "International Association of
Classic Jazz Festivals," I suggested a double scale so that festivals could  pay
full time musicians and bands at a different rate than bands made up of part
time musicians.  I was soundly over-ruled.  The festivals couldn't  see any
reason that they should pay any musicians a "livable"  wage.  These festivals
would rather have a zillion bands, than just cut a  few bands and "share the
wealth" a little more amongst the musicians.
It is rather sad that today's up coming jazz musicians may have nowhere to
perform for any sort of a livable wage at all.  It would be a shame if jazz
music became an art form only played by "hobbyists" in the future.
Mike Vax