[Dixielandjazz] NEA JAZZ STUDY

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Jan 7 10:43:42 PST 2006

Subject: NEA JAZZ STUDY

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/centers/rcac/acrobat/Jazz_Artists_Exec_Summary
_2.pdf

As usual folks this information comes six years late, good for history
buffs, but not too relevant for current working musicians who could
have used the information in 2000 or 2001 maybe.

Perhaps Ken Burns and Wynton Marsalis got a preview copy of it  :))

The overall Jazz awareness and live music scene has shot upwards since
the Ken Burns series came out which in itself no doubt drastically
changed the NEA numbers substantially for many professional working
Jazz bands if indeed they are going out and hustling gigs.   It should
also be noted that the NEA no doubt interviewed a select group of
Funded Jazz musicians and organizations which more than likely do not
include many OKOM players at all since they remain substantially
invisible to the general public in most areas.    I doubt seriously
that they called many players on this list who live and work in New
York area, or San Francisco,  He Romans, Ringwald, Mike Vax, Gunter,
Williams, did they call you guys ???   They didn't call me :))

It would be interesting to see how many IAJE guys they interviewed, and
how many of the Professional Jazz players they speak of are making
their money as teachers rather than live performing artists.   A great
number of the folks that participate in these surveys are the guys
doing the clinics and workshops that are funded by the NEA and IAJE etc.

It is a much different world than the one out here for working
musicians on the live performance circuit alone, just performing for a
living.   Note the comment in the report about musicians not staying in
one band long enough to build it a reputation as a touring professional
act.   It claims that most musicians are playing in about four
different bands.   That folks is why we have a great shortage of good
promotable high drawing acts to promote these days,  many of them think
or have at least been told that they are ALL STARS individually.
Everybody is big on the collaboration game these days which translates
into nothing more than high priced jam sessions, some work and some
don't.    With all the best players sitting around waiting for the
phone to ring and taking the first offer that comes, we now have a vast
list of hot sidemen and not enough band leaders out organizing and
touring and promoting themselves to higher plains of recognition and
audience draw.

    It greatly narrows the playing field at least in my opinion wearing
the Promoter hat,  there are simply not enough Top known acts to make a
living as a Promoter these days, not only in Jazz, but in Major Concert
acts as well.   As more and more of them hit the Big time and become
wealthy they tend to take long overdue time off and many let the
momentum of their career slip backwards and lose many of their former
fans to other current acts and or death or any number of other reasons
that make the Public so fickle.

Anyway  the current situation certainly is not represented accurately
by these numbers by any means, especially since Katrina.

New most of those New Orleans Jazz musicians are not infiltrated into
New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, etc,
desperately looking for work and probably willing to play for New
Orleans wages since that is what they know.

Unfortunately they will not be able to survive in many of the higher
cost of living cities on New Orleans wages where many of them could
walk to work, had cheap housing etc.    I have already seen some New
Orleans players surfacing here in the low/no budget club scene around
the Bay area.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

http://www.sonicbids.com/StGabrielscelestialbrassband