[Dixielandjazz] ATJS Jam Session

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Sat Jan 7 09:40:08 PST 2006

Dear Listers:

If any of you are in Austin, TX for the weekend, you might try the 4th
Annual ATJS Jam Session, 2-5 p.m. on Sunday at Donn's Depot, 1600 West Fifth
Street.  This is an increasingly popular event which brings together a large
aggravation of area jazz players.  I form them up into jam bands and we see
what happens.  Last year, we had 28 players and made some fun music.
Needless to say, if you have an axe with you sign up and play.

In 2004 and 2005, we were fortunate to include among these musicians Eric
Hokkanen, an Austin phenomenon.  Eric plays violin and guitar in a variety
of styles all over the world.  As a jazz violinist, he is one of the best
jazz musicians I have ever played with on ANY instrument.  His technical
command, phrasing and inventiveness are stunning.  Eric is not all that well
known even in Austin, but he deserves to be.

For more information about the Jam Session, including photos of past
sessions, check out the ATJS website at www.atjs.org.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX