[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Free Gigs Discussion S.F.

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 19:58:19 PST 2006

Hi Guys:

There is currently a major thrashing thread going on www.craigslist.com
in San Francisco under the classifieds section "Musicians"  check it
out if interested:

It's about Playing Free Gigs, and the clubs that won't pay the bands
etc. and the overall pathetic economic situation of the music scene
here.

Below is the latest reply by one of the posters, obviously a  pro Jazz
musician, trying to talk to some spaced out Rockers.

Interesting, reading for inquiring minds.   The link to the NEA report
about the economic scene is worth the read.

Tom Wiggins  ( Who has enough sense to stay out of it)

Subject: Free Gigs Discussion S.F.

 > I actually have a degree in Economics from a top 25 school, btw).

   Hmm, such a good degree and yet you still don't understand what
hyperbole is. And they never taught you about supply and demand or the
effect of product dumping on price curves. I took a few economics
electives at a community college and they managed to teach me that
much. (I checked Wikipedia and they have good articles on "dumping" and
"predatory pricing"; that is essentially what we, the pros, are
complaining about in more mainstream economics terminology.) Maybe you
should call your school and ask for a partial refund. (I also find it
odd that someone with such impressive academic credentials and such a
prestigious job talks like a 15 year-old surfer; most of my teenaged
students speak better than you.)

  > Dude, if you came to my place of work and offered to
  > work for free they'd call security.

   I find it odd that you don't let us know what this magical industry
is. But of course, I wasn't actually talking about knocking on your
companies door. It was a hyperbole (It's in the dictionary.)

  > You cannot do my job. It requires many years of education,
  > more years of experience, and even more years of experience
  > in a particular niche within my industry. ... [more bragging
  > deleted] ...

   Do you honestly think that you are so special that no one else could
do your job? You neglect to tell us what this magical job is, so I'll
just have to speak in general terms. I've worked with musicians who
used to be doctors, lawyers, nuclear weapons technicians, ex-Navy
Seals, and many other specialized professions. One of my old guitar
teachers was actually an Economics professor; he's the one who first
explained to me how the predatory pricing of amateurs is was destroying
the music scene. But that was in Chicago and things are much worse
here.

   The real point though is predatory pricing; one group offering a
price that is a loss in order to dominate the market (When this is done
on an international level, this is called "dumping".) This is
considered an unfair trade practice anywhere but in the SF music scene.
Countries have gone to war over it.

  > On the other hand, I can and do go to your
  > 'workplace' and do your work for free

   Actually probably not. Judging by how you describe your musical
experience, I think that we float in very different musical circles. I
know that you think that playing some Green Day song is that pinnacle
of music, but there are some of us who reach for something a little
higher. Most of my musical jobs have required near perfect sight
reading and/or knowledge of musical styles spanning 500 hundred years.
Plus count composing for jazz bands and classical groups, arranging and
orchestrating. I'm guessing that it would take you almost a decade of
full-time study to figure out how to do what I do. But hey, if you have
fun pretending to be a rock star and rocking out for the chicks, then
my hat is off to you. But please don't confuse it with what real
musicians are trying to do.

   But driving the wages down in some venues affects all venues. I may
not like the music that you play, but I at least respect when it is
played well. And my experience is that bands who play for free don't
play it as well. I've seen plenty of both and that is my sincere
opinion based on years of observation supported by years of education.
I think that all music should be played well and adequately
compensated, even the music I can't stand.

   No, I don't expect to get rich of gigs. I actually don't need gig
money to survive; I make most of my money off teaching and composing.
But gigging is an important part of my continuing education. I don't
expect to make a lot of money from gigs, but I do expect to make up for
gas and parking, new strings, and the time it takes to do the job
professionally.

   I'm not telling you not to play. Just have respect for real musicians
and expect fair pay for the gig.

   So, Mr "Masters in Economics from a Top 25 School But I Talk Like a
Teenaged Gang Banger", how do you explain the NEAs report, clearly
showing that jazz musicians (I know, egghead music, but bear with me.)
in the San Francisco area make less than many other metropolitan areas,
even less than New Orleans which has less than half the cost of living.
Why? I can tell you that I've lived in three of the cities in the
survey and this city has more people begging to be taken advantage of
(i.e., playing for free) per capita than the other two cities combined.
I know that you see no connection, but if you'd taken economics at the
community college where I went instead of your mythical "top 25" school
then you'd already understand how predatory pricing works. I know that
we are talking about jazz musicians and not head bangers, but it does
represent the health of the system as a whole. For those who haven't
seen this interesting survey, here it is:

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/centers/rcac/acrobat/Jazz_Artists_Exec_Summary
_2.pdf

   And for those who criticise us for saying that things used to be
better (again, I'm talking about the jazz world) I remember seeing and
old pay sheet for a jazz band in the 30's where the clarinet player was
getting paid $100 dollars a week. (I'm trying to find it to post it
now.) In today's dollars that is over $1300. Considering that bands are
now expected to play for tips, that is quite a price cut. I've met
musicians who played in the sixties who were earning (in New Orleans)
$50-$100 a night. That is $300-$600 in today's dollars. In New Orleans
today (before the flood) gigs were paying between $50 and $150.

   I know that jazz has slipped in popularity and that means that the
gigs are fewer. And I'm certainly not suggesting that life has always
been great for musicians, but 50 years ago a good musician could make a
good living, afford a few tailor made suits, eat in nice restaurants
with a few lovely ladies, and still afford some smack. I'd settle for a
respectable amount for the time I put into the gig.

   But, no, Mr "Masters in Economics from a Top 25 School But I Talk
Like a Markey-Mark Wanna-be", I don't expect you to change your mind.
You and your ilk will keep screwing the music scene for your own
amusement. Nothing will stop you.