[Dixielandjazz] The Worth of the Music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 18:11:18 PST 2006

"Janie McCue Lynch" <janie39 at socal.rr.com> wrote (polite snip)
Janie and I are old friends so please dear reader do not be alarmed. We love
each other, though unfortunately are 3000  miles apart.

> That being said, I did not find this article in the least bit "down" or
> depressing."  Your sentences, "the audience was old and infirm and wrapped
> up in dreams of what used to be. Neither does much for gathering a new
> audience, nor for the relevance of the music to today, "  cast a gray-tinged
> curtain over what was intended to be a very positive article about folks
> gathering to play and hear the music they love best, at a time that they
> were able to safely attend. Sounds like a treasure to me!

Yes, it is a treasure for the listeners. For the idea that musicians MAY be
giving the music away, well that is depressing.

> That happiness and satisfaction from this music is worth more than every
> pill or doctor's appointment that the undeniably senior audience accesses.
> And that includes the description of Don Nelson with his infirmities,
> struggling with his walker, "but once he hears the downbeat he forgets his
> disability and starts swinging and singing."   "Gliding back in time"  can
> be a great gift.  They are not necessarily "wrapped up in dreams.." but
> listening to their favorite music for TODAY, for the pleasure it gives them
> NOW.  That fact alone has a huge inherent value, whether or not the
> musicians are paid more than the tip jar.

The only disagreement here is about playing for the tip jar.

There is no question that the older, disabled audience should have access to
this music. In fact, IMO, it is the duty of band leaders to make it so. BUT
NOT ON A LIMITED BASIS TO A FEW PEOPLE WHO CAN GET TO A PARTICULAR
RESTAURANT. AND NOT FOR TIPS. AND NOT WHEN IT DESTROYS THE MARKETPLACE.

Bands should play for Retirement Facilities, Assisted Living Facilities,
Veterans Hospitals, etc., etc. Where the shut-ins are. As you say, the
medical and mental benefits to the audience are astounding. As are the
benefits to the musicians. And there are ways to do this while getting paid
a reasonable sum.

Barbone Street does it all the time. At least 40 gigs a year to somewhere
around 5000 DIFFERENT elderly people. (estimating on the low side)

We donate 2 a year and get paid for the rest. Sometimes we group
performances, especially in December. Playing 3 a day to locations not far
apart.

Imagine what if, . . . just 100 bands would do likewise. Wow, an audience of
5 million oldsters, some infirm, would be hearing this music. . . live.

We do not do it for tips, or because we don't work enough. Or because we
love the music. We do it because we believe it is the right thing to do.
Especially for me at the veterans hospitals since I am a veteran. (Infantry,
not Band) It is my personal way of saying thanks to some very brave people.

We are often able to get a "sponsor" for those organizations that can't
afford us, etc., etc.., etc. It is not difficult if only other leaders had
the balls to try. (Typical sponsors are car dealers, QVC, Arts Groups,
Veterans Groups, IBM, Vanguard, Du Pont, etc.)

And so we find a way to get paid a living wage. That is what being in the
music business is all about.

Sorry if my post cast a pall on the audience. I intended to cast that pall
on those musicians who keep giving the music away, making it difficult for
working musicians to make a living. Especially when there is no good reason
to do so except ignorance about the business of music.

As Cleavon Little said to the clarinet player in the movie "The Gig";
"loving the music is not enough." That's a truism whether or not one is a
jazz musician. And it speaks directly to those who are destroying the
marketplace for the music.

Cheers,
Steve