FW: [Dixielandjazz] The worth of Dixieland Jazz

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jan 6 10:00:38 PST 2006

The original post said:
About jazz lunch at Sardo's in Burbank. Great review:

Then, Steve said:
Now don't get me wrong, but good Dixieland (or any other) music should not
be sold for "tips", which from the essence of Janie's post, appears to be
happening in Burbank. Please tell me I'm wrong and that the tips are in
addition, to say a $100/per musician performance fee.

After reading the first few lines, my interpretation is different:
"It's noon Tuesday, and Sardo's Restaurant in Burbank is jumpin'. There's
not a stool at the bar available, not an empty seat at any of the tables or
booths. It's been this way every Tuesday and Thursday for the last couple of
years - ever since Don Nelson and his pals started showing up for a
lunch-hour jam session."

Sounds to me like the place is packed, and has been for several years.  They
must be doing something right!  My guess is there is a house rhythm section
(paid, if it has been going on for so long), and invited (or uninvited)
guests appear.  Maybe everyone gets paid.  There's nothing to say different,
except there is a tip jar passed around, which still doesn't mean people
aren't being paid.

And, it would seem reasonable that many retirees would be there, as one
assumes the younger folk are busy at work, and if they aren't, they should
be!

Jim