[Dixielandjazz] The worth of Dixieland Jazz

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 09:36:05 PST 2006

About jazz lunch at Sardo's in Burbank. Great review:

> For $6.25, I get a cheeseburger, a salad and an hour of great, live jazz.
> How are you going to beat that?

and

> Shortly before 1 p.m., Wade starts making the rounds with the tip jar, while
> bass player Pete Kier announces there's time for one more request before
> last call.

Now don't get me wrong, but good Dixieland (or any other) music should not
be sold for "tips", which from the essence of Janie's post, appears to be
happening in Burbank. Please tell me I'm wrong and that the tips are in
addition, to say a $100/per musician performance fee.

If not, for goodness sake, raise the lunch price, or add a music charge, or
do something. If we give away the music, that is the value we ourselves
place upon it. . . NOTHING / NONE / WORTHLESS.

Better to play for nothing, if that is our desire, in front of a younger
crowd on a street somewhere. In hopes that we might at least increase the
audience and build product demand, which might just pay for it later.

The negative about this review was that the audience was old and infirm and
wrapped up in dreams of what used to be. Neither does much for gathering a
new audience, nor for the relevance of the music to today.

Cheers,
Steve