[Dixielandjazz] "Living in a great big Way - Tommy Dorsey

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 21:01:35 PST 2006

Well guys:

I have to disagree with those who specifically say he was not a Jazz
Musician, why?
because Jazz musicians come in all shapes and styles and sizes and
degrees, at least to those of us who have lived through several
generations and style changes and actually were broad minded enough to
listen to the new kids.

He played Jazz HIS WAY and if he played the melody and it swung he
played Jazz to the vast audience that adored him and his music, just
like Kenny G. does today,  hate him if you choose, but he is successful
and he is considered by far more people in the world to be a Jazz
musician than the numbers on this list, even if some of us do believe
that fifty million others are wrong and we are right. :))

Jazz is in the ears of the beholder and listener, and just because it
is not what WE PERSONALLY WANT TO RELATE TO AS JAZZ DOES NOT MAKE IT
NOT JAZZ.   After all our own determination of Jazz is often touted as
playing free form however we choose to play it, so why the hell do we
always have to try and disagree with each other about whaT THE HELL IS
JAZZ AND WHAT IS NOT, IT IS OKOM  LIKE WHAT YOU WILL AND DISLIKE WHAT
YOU WILL BUT SOME OF US MIGHT JUST HAPPEN TO LIKE WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE
and versey vicey.  :))

Cheers,

Rev. Tom Bob   who likes all GOOD music   except Rap which is not good
music,  so see even I am guilty  if .50 cent says his crap is Jazz.