[Dixielandjazz] "Living in a great big Way - Tommy Dorsey

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 5 14:40:19 PST 2006

When I compare the musical output from Tommy's contemporaries such as Benny
Goodman, Bud Freeman and Jimmy Dorsey, I have to conclude that, as much as I
enjoy hearing Tommy play, he was not a jazz musician. I place brother Jimmy
in the jazz musician category.

Certainly, Tommy improvised his solos to a degree and they are well-formed
and logical. But something is missing (maybe it's a feeling of spontaneity)
and lacking that component, I can't call Tommy a jazz musician. He was more
inventive and creative than Glenn Miller was and there are those who call
Glenn a jazz musician also.

Stan
Stan Brager