[Dixielandjazz] "Living In A Great Big Way" by Peter Levinson

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 12:27:54 PST 2006

Ron;

Not having heard the interview, I can't comment. I know Peter Levinson. He
was Woody Herman's business manager for many of the last decades of Woody's
life. He helped me with a show I did on Woody at KCSN. I found him to be
quite knowledgeable about jazz.

Peter Levinson was also on NPR's Weekend Edition plugging the book. During
the interview, he stated that the TD band was essentially a dance band which
is true. In my opinion, many of the swing era bands were essentially dance
bands but were augmented with jazz solos - some more than others.

If anyone's interested in hearing the interview on NPR's Weekend Edition
show, go to this website and click on listen:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5077641

Stan
Stan Brager