[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SACRED ART OF MUSIC

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 00:39:25 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Stgabrielsbb
To: TCASHWIGG
Sent: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:33:25 -0500
Subject: THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SACRED ART OF MUSIC

    Hey folks: Got this long email in from a cat who speaks truth about
our industry, some of you will understand it and some will hate it but
at least read it and be aware or Reality.
  Happier New Year! I didn't write it but I have often spoke similar
words and certainly thought it, good for Brian he did write it. Tom
Wiggins
 THE DESTRUCTION OF THE SACRED ART OF MUSIC

 EXAMPLE 1:
 You've got to accentuate the positive
 Eliminate the negative
 And latch on to the affirmative
 Don't mess with Mister In-Between
 You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
 Bring gloom down to the minimum
 Have faith or pandemonium's
 Liable to walk upon the scene

 "Accentuate The Positive" - #1 song of 1945

 EXAMPLE 2:
 I'll whip your head boy,
 You know I will
 I'll whip your head boy,
 With the back of the steel
 I'll whip your head boy,
 You'll get your cap pealed
 I'll whip your head boy,
 Your ass could get killed

 "I'll Whip Your Head Boy" - "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" (2005)

  EXAMPLE 1 utilizes 4 syllable words and has a positive, up-beat feel
to it.
 EXAMPLE 2 utilizes 1 syllable words. It is negative and very simple.

 Let's now briefly analyze the music of 2 songs:

 1. "All You Need Is Love" (#1 song by The Beatles)

  It has 10 different chords in the verse and utilizes odd-time
signatures.
  The bass-line descends with the chords diatonically. The melody is
diatonic as well. The chorus has 6 different chords sometimes using 4
part harmonies with an orchestral arrangement.
  The guitar solo mimics the verse and the finale has 4 part harmonies
interspersed with allusions to other songs (both Beatles and
non-Beatles) during the fade-out.

 2. "Lose Yourself" (#1 song by Eminem)

  Entire track has 2 chords. The bass line is 1 note. The melody is 2
notes.
 The drums are a machine. There is no harmony or solo.
 WHY HAS THIS HAPPENED?

 It's all economics!!
 The Beatles started Apple Records and signed James Taylor.
 Led Zeppelin started Swan Song Records and signed Bad Company!
 They were making more money than the major labels!!!
 Great bands are a THREAT to BIG BUSINESS (more on that later).
 The music business has been a bit like Star Wars.
  The Beatles and Zeppelin were Jedi Knights fighting the evil major
label empire.
  The empire struck back when it promoted DISCO (neutered Motown) and
PUNK (stick a safety pin in your nose and you're a star).
 Then it was the attack of the clones with samples and rap.

 HOW DID THEY DO IT?

  Rap videos generally have 20 scantily clad babes gyrating their
booties at all times!
 That's enough to convert most 12 year old boys!!
  Question: Who is a famous guitarist from this millennium? Who is the
next Hendrix? Answer: Nobody but 50 Cent is "Da bomb" with "Da Phat
Beatz" and if you don't like it you're a "player-hater."
  NOTE: I know that rap lyrics are an important factor as well. They
"resonate" with today's youth and some hip-hop folks are considered
"urban poets!"
  Great, but what's up with the 2 chords and 1 bass note? Why is a
"patch" a "song?"

 THE DEVIL
  What if Lucifer ran the music business (if you believe in that kind of
stuff)?
 He would make money the main object (the love of money is.).
 He would only sign people who LOVE MONEY. He would rip them off.
  He would desecrate art and worship profanity in the name of hate and
materialism!
 He would love MTV (Music Trust Violator).

 WHAT IS GREAT MUSIC?

 Most people under 30 have no idea what great music is.
  They were born into a shallow, corrupt society that used them for
cannon fodder in order to advance an agenda.
  The national debt went from the ridiculous to the sublime and these
kids can't point France out on a globe. They have been guinea pigs for
commercial interests; rats in a cage for Madison Avenue to experiment
upon!
  Great music is not 2 chords and 1 bass note with an absence of melody
and harmony!!!
 Great music is art and it represents the truth.
 It can uplift people and make them more aware.
  Big business is not into the truth because it goes AGAINST the
economic model! Public awareness equals LOW PROFITS; the truth will set
everybody free (from the manipulation of multi billion dollar
conglomerates).
 Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain Joe Six-Pack!!!

 WARNER BROTHERS:

 I once had a deal with Warner Brothers.
  My contract stated that I would be paid less than 10% of the gross
sales.
 I also had to pay for the entire recording BEFORE SEEING ANY CASH!!!
  I would have (according to the contract) made ZERO for selling 500,000
CDs.
 What is that? Is that fair? That was 15 years ago!
  The typical royalty rate now is lower than 7.5% of gross and it's
going south fast.
  This is also the reason for the ongoing decline of music quality (in a
nut-shell).
 The New York Philharmonic costs over $100,000/hour!
 Question: Who pays the bills for all classical recordings?
 Answer: The LABEL; there is no debt for any musician!
  Major labels have been progressively ripping-off artists because they
have remained UNCHALLENGED!

 IT IS TIME TO BATTLE THE FARCE KNOWN AS THE MUSIC BUSINESS

  Imagine another Beatles. Another band of the caliber of The Beatles
(with all the bells and whistles of modern production) would DOMINATE
radio and TV (MTV too).
  Their tour would be an EVENT dwarfing The Rolling Stones, U2 and other
bands that were signed before 1980.
  Ashley Simpson would be laughed out of town. William Hung would be
forgotten.

 Imagine that they started a label to SAVE GREAT MUSIC.
 Imagine that you have the power to help save great music right now!

 Brian Fox
 BrianFox at meewsic.com
 http://www.meewsic.com