[Dixielandjazz] Mumming was Parades amplification

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 3 11:53:23 PST 2006

David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote (polite snip)

> Steve - I was watching a bit of the "Mummers Parade" on cable TV
> yesterday but it was all just the stationary performances. It would
> be interesting to see the "string bands" actually march down the
> street!  For those who don't know about this parade, the bands are
> masses of saxophones, banjos, string basses and accordions. The
> musicians wear elaborate costumes (some are similar to, and pre-date
> the Mardi Gras Indian costumes)  and usually play medleys of popular
> tunes on some theme or other.  (check http://www.mummers.com/ for
> pictures and stuff - one of the more unusual parades in the world...)

Most of the TV shots of the Mummers parade are from the judging area by City
Hall. Thus they are not too marching oriented. In addition, several other
groups than string bands perform. Like "Fancy", or "Comic" Divisions. They
use canned music to strut their stuff.

The String Bands are superb. Rows of banjos,(Yes Virginia, Philadelphia has
thousands of banjo players. VBG ;-) saxophones, basses and sometimes
accordions. The double basses are either on wheels for the old guys, or
strapped across the body, up off the road and played while marching, by the
younger guys. About 25 String Bands compete and the top 5 or so are
absolutely fantastic. There is nothing quite like an 80 piece string band
playing Sweet Georgia Brown, band members in costume, choreographed while a
few non players fill out the dance portion.

Typical songs include "Oh Dem Golden Slippers", "Alabama Jubilee","Baby
Face", "Four Leaf Clover", "Avalon", "Ain't She Sweet", etc. The songs are
geared to the theme of their presentation. e.g. if about the Mafia, they
would play the theme from the Godfather etc. The presentations poke fun at
the themes.

The parade route used to be about 2 and 1/2 miles  but was recently cut to
about a kilometer because of so many entrants. The costumes, masks, cross
dressing, disguises and themed programs run from dawn to early night and
have been a formalized tradition here since 1901.

VERY SIMILAR to Mardi Gras, except more family oriented. Mummery and Mardi
Gras both have their origins to the pagan festivals of winter solstice
around 2500 years ago. Some say Mardi Gras was influenced by Philadelphia
mummers who were informally active since the late 1600s when the Swedes
settled in the area. (Swedes swing too) For more info see:

http://encyclopedias.families.com/mumming-44-46-erla

I did one 10 years ago, on a flatbed, with a New Orleans Mardi Gras theme
band (comic division). Froze my you know what off, after 2 hours sleep from
the night before gig and vowed never to do that again. Everybody should do
it once before getting too old.

Of course they way this year ended, we did the New Orleans funeral for the
year 2005 at 10 AM last Sunday for the Unitarians in Cherry Hill NJ. That
after double NYE gigs on Saturday. Got 3 hours sleep so I was ahead of the
game, besides being indoors. Have another 2005 burial next Sunday for the
Unitarians in Mount Airy. These are really fun.

Cheers,
Steve