[Dixielandjazz] extemporaneous noises?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 21:36:00 PST 2006

There is one other sound worse than that Ted:

  While on tour in Spain and doing a street parade wearing the Big Bass
drum they were leading us down a pedestrian only street with the
drummers in the back of the band and nobody came back there to tell us
when we came upon the just short of waist high poles across the street
entrance to prohibit autos from going down the street.  Not to mention
the numerous unseen curbs we stepped off of as well.

  Now let me tell you when the Bass Drummer who cannot see where he is
going over the drum walks astraddle of one of those and goes down on
the street, it is an indescribable sound but one you certainly will
never forget, sort of akin to the squeals of a rabbit being caught by a
coyote would be about the best I could describe it, punctuated with
some English Ghetto words that even Spanish Sailors have never heard
uttered in ernest with Prayers of help to sweet Jesus mother mary of
God and anybody else hit in the crotch with a steel pipe.  :((  ouch!
It could also be a secret RAPE or Birth CONTROL DEVISE INVENTED BY THE
SPANISH SECRET POLICE TOO, given the reputation of many drummers.  :))
whatever it is, it works very well.

Marching the poor sightless fellow down a flight of unknown and non
visible stairs accomplishes a similar situation as he misses the first
step and goes end over end down the entire flight being beaten severely
about the head and shoulders by the drum.

Now you know why there is supposed to be a GRAND MARSHALL?  and just
two of his duties, he is also supposed to dance about in and out of the
crowd to keep the jovial and often over enthusiastic revelers from
bumping into the horn players and driving their mouthpieces into their
teeth.   He looks majestic and spectacular out there in front leading
the Parade but he has a real purpose and is worth every penny of his
keep if he does his job correctly.

Playing in a real marching band can be very hazardous to your health
especially if any of the players are having as much fun as the audience
in heavily Beer influenced festivals and parades.

Cheers,

Tom (where's my crotch armor ? ) Wiggins