[Dixielandjazz] Parades amplification - afterthought

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 2 14:43:13 PST 2006

I have been marching  with (and/or leading) the Los Trancos Woods
Community Marching Band in many hundreds of parades since 1977. Most
always we are not amplified and we do just fine. Sometimes we can
adjust our position in the parade if we find ourselves near fire
trucks, louder bands or things like that. (It is not easy to do this
with some parade organizers - sometimes their "parade order" is set
in stone regardless of how it looks and sounds to the audience.)

Steve - I was watching a bit of the "Mummers Parade" on cable TV
yesterday but it was all just the stationary performances. It would
be interesting to see the "string bands" actually march down the
street!  For those who don't know about this parade, the bands are
masses of saxophones, banjos, string basses and accordions. The
musicians wear elaborate costumes (some are similar to, and pre-date
the Mardi Gras Indian costumes)  and usually play medleys of popular
tunes on some theme or other.  (check http://www.mummers.com/ for
pictures and stuff - one of the more unusual parades in the world...)

Dave Richoux