[Dixielandjazz] Generator for Parades

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 11:00:17 PST 2006

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote

> HI PAM & GENE:
> HAPPY NEW YEAR:
>
> AS THE FEARLESS LEADER OF A New ORLEANS PARADE JAZZ MARDI GRAS FUNERAL
> MARCHING BAND,
> I usually opt for marching in the parades for the authenticity of it
> not to mention the interaction and fun with the audience.
>
> If you must play on a flatbed truck, I suggest getting a generator that
> is fairly new if possible that does not make so much noise, and then if
> you can get someone to build you a box around it to enclose it at one
> end of the truck as far away from the band as possible it helps keep
> the noise out of your ears.   Careful placement of the P.A. speakers
> and monitors to avoid feedback should give you good projection off the
> sides of the truck with not much interference.   Tricky but usually
> works pretty well.

Yes, a small gas generator will work just fine. Last year, we did a number
of outdoor events in open areas where there was no electricity. For crowds
that require amplification. 1000 to 5000 people.

The event sponsors rented the smallest gasoline generator they could.
Perhaps 1000 Watts, I'm not sure. It was fairly quiet. We placed it 50 feet
away, and shielded it with a 4' by 4' plywood board. Virtually no noise at
all where we were.

It easily powered our two microphones, the amplified guitar, and amplified
bass. I use a 250 watt Fender portable sound system for the two microphones.

At one event, 4th of July Fireworks, it also powered the computer used to to
shoot the fireworks, along with, and in synch with, their recorded firework
music which went through my sound system. Audible to 5000 people or so.

You could do as Tom suggests and build a wooden box to cover it. (except for
the exhaust) You might even insulate the box to further quiet it. I did that
for my house/barn generator, a l2,000 watt unit outside and it quieted that
down considerably. Should work just fine on a small unit.

Another option you might investigate is a DC to AC converter which would
plug into the vehicle cigar lighter. I think you might be able to get enough
AC current to power your needs that way. Rough cost about $500 for the
largest units available. My buddies in the construction business have these
and they power regular 110V electric drills and saws, etc., so they should
be enough to power a couple of instrument amps and a sound system.

Wish you success in getting the music to where the people are.

Cheers,
Steve