[Fwd: [Dixielandjazz] On Parade]

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jan 2 08:59:18 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----On Behalf Of Russ Guarino
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 5:29 AM
To: DJML
Subject: [Fwd: [Dixielandjazz] On Parade]

Russ Guarino wrote:

> Pam,
>
> Six months ago, or so, I bought a power pack at Cosco.  About $85.00
> It is, in essence, a battery jump starter with about 100 amps and will
> power your equipment for about four hours.  You charge it up off the
> wall plug in your home and it is silent when supplying power to your
equipment.

> At Radio Shack, you can buy reasonably priced mics, chords and mic stands.
>
> Attach the wires and off you go.
>
> Russ Guarino
>
> Pam Munter wrote:
>
> > Our band is going to be playing on a flatbed in a local parade,
> > towed by a golf cart.  Yes, picture it, if you can.  This parade is
> > a big deal in our little town, so we want to sound as good as we
> > can.  The problem is amplification.  Our keyboard and our bass
> > player need the support of an amp and several of our band members
> > need a mic.  Being new to all this, I have no idea what my options
> > might be.  We have access to a generator for power, but I understand
> > they are quite noisy.  Can they handle the power demands?
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with this interesting form of
> > performance?  Hey, at least we're not marching!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -Pam Munter
> > The Bees' Knees
> > Palm Desert, California

[TD] I think Russ' proposal would work. I intend to get one of these low
cost "Costco", silent generators to power a keyboard, mics and amplifier
when we can't get a power outlet.

If your parade organizer is very obliging, they might even lift a piano onto
the flatbed. Played in a parade in San Antonio Fiesta in the old Fort
William section with DJML'rs Vicki Cox, Dan Augustine, Jim Goodwin, Meg Graf
and others. The parade people obligingly had a rented upright piano rolled
onto the flatbed from a lift truck and Meg was set up in style. The streets
in that old part of town were so narrow that amplification was no problem.
The crowds were right next to the truck.

Riding or walking, playing "movable" Dixieland is sure a lot of fun. From
Tom Wiggins' marching extravaganzas to Steve Barbone's strolling Atlantic
City group to our parade in the cold air of Montclair on NYE, people really
enjoy that presentation and that's what it's all about to me.

Here's to all of us for the New Year . . . Play enjoyable jazz or enjoy
listenable jazz . . . Just get out and do it!!

Regards,

Tom Duncan
201-836-6076
www.doctordubious.com